The University of Arizona Health Sciences welcomes five students from Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham in India! These students are participating in a summer research internship as part of a global dual-degree program in which they are concurrently earning a master's degree from Amrita and a master's in Cellular and Molecular Medicine from the University of Arizona. Through their experience in the dual-degree program, students obtain fundamental knowledge of the normal structure and function of the major organs of the human body, the major types of diseases that afflict those organs, as well as opportunities, strategies, and approaches to prevent or treat such diseases.
The program can be completed entirely in India, or, as in the case of these five students, include a summer lab internship on campus in Tucson, Arizona:
- Kartik Moolraj Dattani will work in the lab of Jared Churko, PhD, assistant professor in Cellular and Molecular Medicine at the College of Medicine – Tucson.
- Varna Sree Kumar will work in the lab of Donata Vercelli, MD, professor in the department of Cellular and Molecular Medicine at the College of Medicine – Tucson, associate director of the Asthma and Airway Disease Research Center, and director of the Arizona Center for the Biology of Complex Diseases.
- Ardra Mohanan will work in the lab of Gregory Thatcher, PhD, professor in Pharmacology and Toxicology and endowed chair in Drug Discovery at the University of Arizona R. Ken Coit College of Pharmacy.
- Manish Manoharan will work in the lab of Carol Gregorio, PhD, professor and department head of Cellular and Molecular Medicine and co-director of the Sarver Heart Center, and Czarina M. and Humberto S. Lopez Endowed Chair for Excellence in Cardiovascular Research at the College of Medicine – Tucson.
- Gopika Sumitha will work in the lab of Gregory Rogers, PhD, professor and associate department head of Cellular and Molecular Medicine at the College of Medicine – Tucson.
To learn more about the University of Arizona College of Medicine – Tucson’s global partnership and innovative dual-degree program with Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham University, visit this website.